Install Ubuntu directly from hard disk
Ubuntu is one of the most popular Linux Distribution.According DistroWatch.com Ubuntu and Linux Mint are the two most popular linux distros.Linux Mint is a derivative of Ubuntu.It is a customized version of Ubuntu.
Since new versions of Ubuntu and Linux Mint are released every 6 months, there is no point in burning the iso files to blank cds.
So how does one install Ubuntu or Linux Mint without burning the iso files?
Two possible answers to the above question.
- Install from bootable USB Flash Drive
- Install directly from the hard disk
There are many guides and tools which help in you in creating bootable usb drives to install Ubuntu.
In this article I will be showing how you can install Ubuntu(and its derivatives) directly from hard disk.
Advantages of installing Ubuntu directly from Hard Disk
- Secondary media like CD,DVD or USB Flash Drive are not required
- Installation is faster
- No need to change boot order.You have to boot normally from your hard disk
Install Ubuntu from iso using Grub4Dos
- Install Grub4dos to your Hard Disk.Grub4Dos is powerful bootloader which supports iso emulation
- Download Ubuntu to the root of any drive.
- Add the following entry to menu.lsttitle Install Ubuntu
find --set-root /ubuntu-11.04-desktop-i386.iso
map /ubuntu-11.04-desktop-i386.iso (0xff) || map --mem /ubuntu-11.04-desktop-i386.iso (0xff)
kernel /casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed noprompt boot=casper only-ubiquity iso-scan/filename=/ubuntu-11.04-desktop-i386.iso quiet splash --
- Reboot and choose Install Ubuntu in the Grub4dos menu.
- After the live desktop loads, open terminal and enter the following commands.sudo umount -l /isodevice
- Now double click on Install Ubuntu.You should be able to install Ubuntu
Defragment the downloaded iso with Wincontig.If your iso is fragmented,grub4dos will attempt to RAM load the entire iso.This may cause problems if you have less RAM.
The above procedure also works with Linux Mint.Just change corresponding iso file names in the menu.lst code.