Fbinst – Universal Bootable USB Flash Drive tool
The problem with bootable USB Flash Drives is compatibility. If your USB Flash Drive boots on your computer, there is no guarantee that it will boot on another computer.
There are three modes, HDD, ZIP and FDD, and different BIOSes use different parameters to boot USB Flash Drives. Some BIOSes use LBA mode to access the USB Drive and some don’t. Some BIOSes skip some sectors at the beginning of disk. Hence it is difficult to create a USB flash Drive that can be booted on different BIOSes.
Fbinst solves this problem by creating a special disk layout on your bootable USB Flash Drive making it more compatible with old and troublesome BIOSes.
Batch Script to Automatically create Bootable USB Flash Drive with Fbinst
New users may find fbinst a little complex to use.So I found this script made by Maanu at Reboot.pro .You can use this script to easily create a Bootable USB Drive with Grub4Dos as the Boot Loader.
- Download AutoFbinst.Zip and extract it to a folder.
- Execute formatusb.cmd
- Connect your USB Flash Drive
- Enter the correct hd number of USB Flash Drive
- Select the compatibilty Mode.The first option – USB HDD FAT32 works in most cases.If it does not work you can choose a different mode.
- Copy menu.lst to the root your USB Flash Drive.You can now boot from your USB Flash Drive
You can check these screenshots for a visual guide.Click on the images to view full size.
Fbinst creates a 8 mb reserve partition on your USB Flash Drive.This partition contains grldr and fb.txt
A GUI Frontend for Fbinst also exists.It is called FbinstTool.The page is in chinese.So you have to use Google translate to read it in English.