Easily Modify Boot Sectors with Bootice!
Bootsect.exe, syslinux.exe are some of the most commonly used boot sector tools.These command line tools are used to modify/install a particular bootsector to the Master Boot Record(MBR) or Partition Boot Record(PBR).In this case bootsect.exe installs the Windows bootsector and syslinux.exe installs the syslinux bootsector.If you want a different bootsector,then you must find the corresponding tool to do the job.This can be irritating as you have to first find the correct tool and then learn correct usage of the command line tool.
Bootice is a small tool or utility which can modify/backup/restore the Master Boot Record(MBR), Partition Boot Record(PBR) of your Disk.It has both Graphical User Interface and Command Line Interface.It is an all in one tool and supports many boot managers.This tool was developed by Pauly.
Currently it supports the following popular boot records
Features of Bootice
- Modify/Install/Backup Master Boot Record(MBR)
- Modify/Install/Backup Partition Boot Record(PBR)
- Rename boot files.Eg. ntldr as smldr,grldr as ggldr
- Partition Management-Format,Change ID,Make (in)Active,(un)Hide, Backup and Restore Partition Table
- Sector View
- Support for Disk Images,not just Physical Disks
- View/Edit BCD for Windows Vista/7
- Grub4dos Menu Editor
It is completely portable and does not require any installation.I use this tool a lot for making my USB Disks bootable.I have used this tool in
- Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10 Bootable USB Creator
- Install Grub4dos to your Hard Disk
- How to Partition a USB Flash Drive
Currently this tool works only in Windows.Hope Pauly also makes a Linux version of Bootice.