Optimize Images for the web with RIOT
Radical Image Optimization Tool (RIOT) is an amazing tool which can optimize and compress images without any noticeable loss in quality.This tool is extremely useful for Webmasters as it helps in faster loading of pages and in reducing bandwidth usage.
RIOT key features:
- open multiple graphic file formats by looking first at the magic number (it does not need file extension to recognize format)including support for uncommon images types (up to 128 BPP, integer and floating point. EX: hdr images, 16 bit grayscale, etc). Adaptive logarithmic tone mapping algorithm (Drago) used for HDR images
- save and optimize JPEG, GIF and PNG with a simple, clean user interface
- works in dual view: (original – optimized image) or single view (optimized image). Automatic preview of resulting image
- in-place compare function (alternativelly display the original image over the optimized image to notice small pixel changes)
- compress files to desired filesize threshold
- fast processing (all is done in memory); see instant results including resulting filesize
- decide if you want to keep metadata (comments, IPTC, Adobe XMP, EXIF profiles, ICC profiles). Unsupported metadata is removed
- transfer metadata between image formats (destination format must support them)
- common tools: pan and zoom, rotate, flip
- resize image by using well known resample filters (ex: Lanczos3, Catmull Rom, Bicubic, and others)
- the compression and the results are comparable to those of commercial products.
There are three types of download:-Installer,Portable and IrfanView Plugin.
The IrfanView Plugin Adds a new Option “Save for Web” in IrfanView.
If you use this option to save images in IrfanView then your images will be optimized and compressed.
Installing RIOT Plugin for IrfanView
Download the IrfanView Extended Plugin from http://luci.criosweb.ro/riot/download/
Open the downloaded zip file and extract riot.dll and freeimage.dll and copy it to Program Files-IrfanView-Plugins
You can now use the Save for Web option in IrfanView to optimzie and compress images using RIOT.
One of the most useful feature of RIOT is that it can compress a image to particular file size.This is useful when you want images of common file size.
Unfortunately Batch processing is not available yet.The author is working on it and I hope it will available soon.